Colt M-1861 Navy-Navy Conversion Revolver
- Product Code: FHG-1743-SOLD
- Availability: Out Of Stock
This is a FINE condition example of the scarce US Navy marked Colt New Model (M-1861) Navy Cartridge Conversion revolver. The M-1861 Navy was the pinnacle of Colt’s percussion revolver production, and blended some of the best features of both the popular Old Model Navy (aka M-1851) and New Model Army (aka M-1860) revolvers into one pistol. The gun was a .36 caliber (as implied by the name “Navy”), six shot revolver with a 7 ““ round barrel. The loading lever was of the M-1860 Army “creeping style” and for all practical purposes the front half of the revolver was a scaled down version of M-1860 Army in .36 caliber. The rear portion of the revolver was pure “Navy” with the classic M-1851 grip frame and grip angle, which would live for generations as the pattern for the grip design of the classic Colt M-1873 Single Action Army. The M-1861 Navy was more streamlined than the earlier M-1851 variant and the new loading lever was a significant improvement over the older toggle action design. While the revolvers were not purchased in huge numbers by the US government during the American Civil War, they did serve in reasonably large numbers, proportional to their production. Only 38,843 of the pistols were produced during the production run from 1861 to 1873, with less than 28,000 being manufactured before the end of 1865. Most sources place US Ordnance Department (Army) purchases at about 2,000, but based upon recorded serial number data; more were purchased on the open market both by the various states and by individual soldiers. The US Navy acquired a total of 3,370 of the New Model Navy revolvers, with the first deliveries being made on September 28, 1861. This delivery was of 200 New Model Navy revolvers to replace an order of M-1860 Army revolvers that had not passed US Naval inspection at the end of August 1861. During the inspection process, US Navy inspecting officer Lt. R. Wainwright found that the .44 revolvers had much thinner walls in the cylinder chambers than the .36 revolvers the Navy had previously purchased. He noted in his report that: “One of them exploded three charges with one pull of the trigger, and it was found to flaws between the chambers” “I have stopped the inspections for further instructions.” This shipment of 200 Army revolvers was replaced with 200 of the new M-1861 Navy revolvers, and all further US Navy purchases of Colt revolvers for the balance of the war would be the new .36 caliber handgun. The initial shipment of revolvers cost the US Navy $23.00 each, and even after negotiating with Colt, the price never dropped below $15.00 each. As a result, after the deliveries of September 1862, the Navy decided to contract with Remington and Whitney for their .36 revolvers, as both manufacturers were willing to sell the handguns for $12.00 each, significantly less than the Colt revolvers. The wartime Navy purchases of Colt M-1861 Navy revolvers are rarely inspected or marked in any way, probably due to the need to get the guns issued as quickly as possible. Civil War firearms historian and author John D. McAulay notes that “While a few of these revolvers were inspected with naval markings, it appears that the majority were accepted at the naval yards without formal inspection.” The end of the Civil War essentially announced the end of the percussion firearms era for the US military. The effectiveness and reliability of self-contained metallic cartridges had been more than proven on the battlefield; all of the US armed forces were looking for ways to modernize their small arms by adopting cartridge-firing weapons. Even the incredibly traditional US Navy looked for a self-contained cartridge handgun to add to their small arms inventory. However, the traditional attitude about the utility of pistols remained in place at the top echelon of the Naval hierarchy during the first decade of the post-Civil War years. As a result, the Navy adopted the Remington rolling block single-shot pistol as their standard sidearm in 1865. This clearly indicated the Navy felt that self-contained cartridges were desirable for pistols, but the multi-shot firepower of a revolver was not! The Navy was also caught in a budget crisis that arose from government debt that was accrued during the Civil War, and from an over abundance of small arms, albeit obsolete, on hand. The reality was there was simply no budget for the widespread acquisition of cartridge revolvers, nor was there a general consensus regarding which revolver might be the appropriate choice. In 1866, the Navy started to sell off their excess inventory of percussion revolvers and by 1873 the only percussion revolvers in the US Naval inventories were .36 caliber M-1851 and M-1861 Colts. In 1873 the Colt Patent Firearms Company approached the Navy with a potential solution that was low cost and allowed the Navy to upgrade many of their obsolete percussion revolvers to cartridge handguns. General W.B. Franklin, Vice President of Colt, offered to upgrade existing stocks of M-1851 and M-1861 Navy revolvers to centerfire cartridge via the Richards-Mason conversion system for $3.50 each. In a July 10, 1873 letter to Franklin, USN Chief of Ordnance William N. Jeffers accepted the offer from Colt and noted that he had “advised the Commandant(s) of the Boston, New York and Philadelphia Navy Yards to send to your manufactory 100, 400 and 300 pistols respectively for alteration.”. Thus began the process by which some 2,097 US Navy owned .36 caliber Colt percussion revolvers were altered to metallic cartridge by the Richards-Mason system. The guns were all altered to .38 Long Colt, and while some sources suggest the barrels were reamed and re-rifled, the reality is that the bores of the guns were not altered, although a few barrels were replaced by Colt due to the poor condition of the bores. The alteration consisted of a series of modifications to the frame, cylinder and barrel of the revolver. The cylinder was modified by milling down a portion of its rear, removing the percussion cones (nipples) and creating a bored-through chamber, while leaving the original ratchet mechanism in tact. The chambers were then reamed out to accept the .38 Long Colt cartridge cases. A conversion breech plate was added to the frame, mounted in front of the original recoil shield and loading gate was added on the right side of the frame. A new, longer, 2-pronged hand was added to the internal mechanism to actuate the cylinder, and the ratchet on the rear of the cylinder were re-cut to insure proper timing and indexing. The barrel had the loading lever and associated catch removed, and dovetail for the catch, as well as the loading lever mounting recess were both filled. The hole in the front of the frame through which the rammer plunger passed was not modified on the M-1851 Navy revolvers, but was plugged on the M-1861 revolvers. A Mason pattern ejector rod assembly was added to the right side of the barrel, consisting of an ejector rod tube, with a spring loaded ejector rod that was tipped with a kidney shaped plunger tip with concentric rings embossed on the front to insure a good grip while using the ejector rod. Colt refinished the pistols after the alterations were completed. At least one letter from Colt to Navy suggested that the iron backstraps of the M-1851 Navy revolvers be polished and refinished, and new grips be installed on the revolvers to improve their overall appearance and bring them up to the standards of the rest of the gun that had been refinished after the alteration process. The Navy agreed and paid Colt an additional $0.75 for each gun that had the backstrap refinished and the grips replaced. The M-1861 Navy revolvers had silver plated brass backstraps, and it appears they were only polished and not re-plated as part of the alteration and refinishing process. As a result of the replacement of most of the grips on the guns sent to Colt, original USN inspection marks in the grips are usually missing from the cartridge converted “Navy-Navy” revolvers. Due to the polishing and refinishing, the original percussion era marks on the guns are often weak or missing, as are most of the original Naval markings in the metal, if they were ever present (most Navy-Navies were only marked on their grips). The pistols were stamped on the lower left side of the frame with the two-line patent date legend that referenced both the Richards and the Mason patents, over stamping the original 2-line “Colt’s Patent” mark. In almost all cases the wedges of the cartridge-altered revolvers were replaced with new Colt factory wedges (both left over percussion wedges with springs and cartridge wedges without springs), all of which were unnumbered. The large majority of the M-1851 and M-1861 Navy-Navy revolvers that were altered ended up with mismatched cylinders that were typically renumbered to match the gun, either below the original serial number on the side of the cylinder or on the rear face of the cylinder. This is probably due to the fact that the cylinder required the most machining and work to make it usable, and when a revolver was received for alteration, it’s cylinder was sent to the machine shop to be converted, and another cylinder that had already been altered was pulled from stock and reassembled with the revolver. It is generally believed that only about of 1,000 of the Colt Navy-Navy cartridge conversions were performed on M-1851 Navy revolvers, with the balance performed on M-1861 Navy revolvers. When the revolvers were returned to the various Navy yards from Colt, only those sent to the New York Navy Yard received any inspection marks. The revolvers sent to New York were inspected by Commander Richard W. Meade, who stamped his initials and an anchor under the barrels, forward of the frame. Those pistols with the R.W.M. (ANCHOR) mark can be concretely attributed to having been inspected at the New York Navy Yard after alteration. No known inspection markings have been attributed to the revolvers returned to the Boston, Philadelphia, Norfolk and Portsmouth Navy Yards. Today all of the Richards-Mason converted Colt Navy-Navy revolvers are scarce, with less than 100 of the 1,000 M-1851 altered guns believed to remain in existence, and approximately 120 of the 1,097 altered M-1861s believed to have survived. These revolvers are important ones in any martial collection as they are the first metallic cartridge revolvers used by the US Navy and some of the first metallic cartridge revolvers used by any of the US armed forces.
This Richards-Mason Converted Colt M-1861 Navy-Navy revolver in about FINE overall condition and is a wonderful example of a war time Navy purchased Colt M-1861 returned for alteration to .38 Long Colt circa 1873. The revolver is serial number 4163, which places it in late 1861 production, which ended at approximately 4,600. Colt delivered 2,000 M-1861 Navy revolvers to the Navy during 1861, about 43% of that year’s total production of that model. The serial number is found on all major components, with the exception of the unmarked wedge, which was replaced by Colt during the alteration process. The lower front portion of the left side of the frame is marked in two lines: COLT’s / PATENT , without the “US’ found on M-1851s purchased by the Navy. Amazingly, the markings are all still quite legible, even after the Colt refinishing of the frame and the addition of the new patent marks that Colt stamped over the original ones. The new patent marks are stamped in two lines: - PAT. JULY. 23, 1871. - / - PAT. JYLY. 2, 1872. - , with dashes at the beginning and end of each line. The round barrel is marked with the late production New York barrel address that reads: “ ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW - YORK U.S. AMERICA”. The cylinder is marked with the usual COLT’s PATENT No 4641, with the new matching serial number 163 (the last 3 digits of the serial number of this gun) stamped under the mismatched serial number 4641, the number of the gun that the cylinder originally came from. The cylinder arbor is numbered 4163 as is the loading gate. The cylinder is roll engraved with the typical naval engagement scene which remains about 60%+ visible. Even the ENGAGED 16 MAY 1843 remains mostly legible. The rear face of the cylinder also bears a single D inspection mark. The bottom of the barrel is crisply stamped with the R.W.M. (ANCHOR) inspection mark, so we know the gun was sent to the New York Navy Yard after it was converted by Colt. The gun is in FINE condition and remains very crisp and sharp throughout, with good edges and clear markings. The pistol retains about 30% of its original Colt factory blued finish on the barrel, mostly on the barrel web and in protected areas around the edges of the ejector housing. The balance of the barrel retains strong traces of blue that has blended with a smooth plum brown and gray patina over the balance of the barrel. The frame retains about 80%+ of the vivid Colt case hardened finish, with the balance of the frame dulling and fading to a pewter gray patina. The hammer retains about 80%+ of its vivid Colt case hardened finish as well. The metal surfaces are mostly smooth, with some scattered patches of light pinpricking, mostly on the barrel. There are also some areas of light surface oxidation around the muzzle, and scattered on the barrel. The cylinder retains about 60%+ of the roll engraved Mexican War naval battle scene, and has a smoky blue-gray patina mixed with some minor traces of finish. The loading gate retains only traces of its original case hardened finish and has a slightly mottled smoky gray look. The gate uses the less common “outside” spring to secure it, and the spring retains about 50% of its original niter blued finish. The gate functions smoothly and correctly. The action of the pistol is EXCELLENT and the revolver remains tight, timing and indexing perfectly and locking up as it should. The trigger retains bout 30% of its original niter blued finish, with the balance toning to darker dull blue, and functions crisply as well. The both the brass backstrap and triggerguard were polished by Colt during the alteration and refinishing process and as a result their serial numbers are slightly weak. The brass now has a golden ocher patina that is very attractive. The ejector rod housing retains about 25% of its original blue, most of which is in the protected nooks and crannies where it mates with the barrel. The ejector rod button is of the correct kidney shaped pattern with the concentric rings, and retains about 30% of its niter-blued finish, which is dulling down to bluish gray. The ejector rod functions smoothly and correctly as well. The gun appears to retain all of its original screws as well, which are all in very nice condition and show minimal slot wear. The screws all retain at least some of their niter-blued finish, although most have faded and dulled with age. The bore of the pistol rates about VERY FINE overall. It remains mostly bright, with very crisp rifling and only some very lightly scattered pitting along its length. The one-piece, oil finished, black walnut grips are in VERY GOOD+ condition, and are free of any breaks, cracks or repairs. The grips are original to the gun and not replacement grips installed during the alteration process at Colt. The serial number 4163 is written in pencil in a period hand in the backstrap cut out of the grips. The replacement grips installed by Colt were not numbered to the guns. The grips do show some of the expected bumps, dings and handling marks from use and service. The grips show a couple of tiny chips, both at the leading edges of the bottom front of the grip frame. This is minor, but mentioned for exactness, and in no way affects the display of this rare pistol.
Overall this is a really lovely, 100% original complete and correct Colt M-1861 Richards-Mason Converted Navy-Navy. These are very scarce guns, with only about 1,100 so altered. This gun has a really wonderful look and has not been messed with in any way. It is in much better condition than most Navy purchased M-1861 conversions encountered. This is one of those guns that had a service life of well over 3 decades, serving the navy in the years leading up to the Civil War, during the war and then being converted in 1873 to serve another decade or more until the M-1889 Colt Navy double action revolver was taken into service. With all of that service and use it is amazing the gun is as crisp as it is. A Colt “Navy-Navy” is a real coup for any serious collector of US marital revolvers to acquire, and a Richards-Mason conversion is even harder to find. This gun would be a great addition to any such collection or to a Civil War or USN collection. This is simply a great gun that you will be very proud to own and to display, and would certainly be worth obtaining a Colt factory letter on, if the records for the gun are available.SOLD